Tax Code Queries

If you have a query about your tax code please contact the tax office directly. The tax affairs for retired members of the Berkshire Pension Fund are dealt with at the following tax office:


HM Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
PO Box 1970
L75 1WX


Telephone: 0300 200 3300

If you are contacting the Tax Office from overseas please dial: +44 135 535 9022

Tax Reference (please quote in all cases): 070/R5200

Your 2020/2021 Personal Allowance

Most people in the UK get a Personal Allowance of tax-free income. This is the amount of income you can have before you pay tax. The amount of income tax you pay in each tax year depends on:

  • how much of your income is above your Personal Allowance

  • how much of this falls within each tax band

The standard personal allowance from 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021 remains at £12,500.

Do you live in Scotland? If you live in Scotland you will receive the same personal allowance for 2020/2021, but your tax bandwidths will be different. HMRC will determine if you are a Scottish tax payer.  


The form P45 that an employer raises on the termination of employment should be sent to the Royal County of Berkshire Pension Fund, so that your tax-free allowances will continue to be received. It may be advisable, for those who are due to receive a higher income elsewhere, to direct the P45 to that source of income, so that the maximum tax relief is received in the short term.

Where no P45 is available, an emergency tax code will be applied and you will receive a P46 form for completion.


A P60 will be issued to you each year which sets out your pay and tax details for the year to 31 March. There is a legal requirement to issue a P60 by 31 May each year.

It is advisable to keep your P60 documents safe as you may require them for future reference.