When the LGPS changed from a Final Salary to a Career Average Revalued Earnings (CARE) pension scheme in 2014, protections for older scheme members were introduced.
Similar protections were provided in other public sector pension schemes. The Court of Appeal ruled that younger members of the Judges’ and Firefighters’ Pension schemes have been discriminated against because the protections do not apply to them.
The Government has confirmed that there will be changes to all main public sector schemes, including the LGPS, to remove this age discrimination. This ruling is often called the ‘McCloud judgment’.
From 1 October 2023 the McCloud Remedy comes into force. Click on the links below to find out more about the McCloud Remedy (you will be directed to the external National LGPS website):
The Berkshire Pension team will be gathering data to identify those members who are affected by the judgement and if this applies to you, you will be contacted.
- What is the McCloud Remedy?
- Am I affected?
- Key Dates of McCloud
- Find out how your pension may be affected
- McCloud Frequently Asked Questions
- Watch the McCloud Remedy video
- The McCloud Remedy flowchart
- The McCloud judgement and your LGPS pension factsheet
- The McCloud Remedy - Member Factsheet