Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) is a very important benefit. Not only will it provide you with income during retirement, payable for life, but it also gives your loved ones financial security in the event of your death or long-term ill-health.
The LGPS is available to all employees in Local Government, or in other organisations that have chosen to participate in it. Teachers, police and firefighters are not allowed to join as they have their own pension schemes. You need to be under age 75 to join the LGPS.
If you would like to join the LGPS please complete the opt-in form attached below:
Once completed please forward this form directly to your Payroll Department and contributions will commence from the next available pay period. If you would prefer to have a copy of this form forwarded to your home address please contact us on 01628 796 668.
What are the benefits of joining the LGPS?
- A retirement pension payable for life;
- A retirement pension that increases each year in line with the Consumer Prices Index (CPI);
- An option to purchase additional tax-free cash by converting part of your annual pension;
- An option to purchase additional annual pension
- A death grant equal to three times your annual pensionable pay in the event of your death in service;
A pension payable to your husband, wife, cohabiting partner or civil partner in the event of your death;
Pensions payable to your eligible children;
A pension payable immediately if you retire due to permanent ill health;
Your employer contributes towards the cost of your pension;
You receive tax relief on your contributions - you pay less tax;
The option to decrease your monthly pension contribution